Fair Grounds Race Course Photo
NEW ORLEANS, LA—JULY 17, 2012—Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots will present the first summer night racing program in track history on Aug. 18, a Saturday. Fair Grounds’ fifth Summer Quarter Horse Meet opens Aug. 15 and continues Wednesdays to Saturdays through Sept. 1.
First post is 12:40 p.m. every day except Aug. 18, when first post is 4 p.m. That evening, Fair Grounds will present two special events – the inaugural “Tails & Ales” beer tasting featuring scores of offerings from breweries throughout the region and two special races pitting animals not normally associated with racing. Details on the Aug. 18 events, including ticketing and pricing, will be announced later this week.
First post is 12:40 p.m. every day except Aug. 18, when first post is 4 p.m. That evening, Fair Grounds will present two special events – the inaugural “Tails & Ales” beer tasting featuring scores of offerings from breweries throughout the region and two special races pitting exotic animals not normally associated with racing.
Details on the Aug. 18 events, including ticketing and pricing, will be announced later this week.
General admission for live racing is FREE every day except Aug. 18.
Average daily overnight purses of $140,000 are complemented by a rich stakes schedule worth $410,000, with added-money events scheduled on half of the racing days.
The stakes action kicks off with the 350-yard Treme Stakes for Louisiana-bred 3-year-olds on Aug. 16. The meet’s richest day is Closing Day, Sept. 1, with three stakes, topped by the $150,000 (estimated) Louisiana Quarter Horse Breeders Association Sales Futurity for 2-year-old Louisiana-breds. The trials for that event will comprise the Opening Day program on Aug. 15.
The American Quarter Horse, known as “The World’s Fastest Athlete” for short bursts of speed that can reach as high as 55 miles per hour, competes at sprint distances from 220 yards to 870 yards.
PDF files of the 2012 Summer Quarter Horse Meet Condition Book, Stakes Schedule and Stall Application can be downloaded from the “Horsemen” page of the Fair Grounds website at FairGroundsRaceCourse.com.
2012 Summer Quarter Horse Meet At a Glance
- Aug. 15-Sept. 1, Wednesdays to Saturdays (12 days)
- First post 12:40 p.m. daily (except Aug. 18, 4 p.m.), 10 races every day (except Aug. 18, 11 races)
- Free Grandstand general admission (except Aug. 18)
- Food and beverage specials: $1.75 hamburgers and $1.75 draft beer at Oaks Grill (Grandstand third floor)
- More info : (504) 944-5515 or FairGroundsRaceCourse.com
- Aug. 16 (Thursday) Treme Stakes $40,000 (guaranteed) 3yo, La.-breds 350 yards
- Aug. 18 (Saturday) Audubon Stakes $40,000 (guaranteed) 3&up, La.-breds, F&M 350 yards
- Aug. 22 (Wednesday) Gentilly Dash Stakes $30,000 (guaranteed) 3yo and up 250 yards
- Aug. 25 (Saturday) Faubourg St. John Stakes $30,000 (guaranteed) 3yo and up 870 yards
- Aug. 29 (Wednesday) DeSaix Stakes $30,000 (guaranteed) 2yo 330 yards
- Sept. 1 (Saturday) Mid-City Stakes $40,000 (guaranteed) 3&up, La.-breds 400 yards
- Sept. 1 (Saturday) LQHBA Sales Futurity $150,000 (added) 2yo, La.-breds 350 yards
- Sept. 1 (Saturday) LQHBA Sales Invitational $50,000 (estimated) 2yo, La.-breds 350 yards
Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots, the nation’s third-oldest racetrack, has been in operation since 1872. Located in New Orleans , Fair Grounds is owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated (NASDAQ Global Select Market: CHDN); it also operates a slot-machine gaming facility and 10 off-track betting parlors throughout southeast Louisiana . The fourth Summer Quarter Horse Meet runs August 15 through September 1. The 141st Thoroughbred Racing Season runs Thanksgiving Day, November 22, through March 31, 2013, highlighted by the milestone 100th running of the $1 million Louisiana Derby for Kentucky Derby hopefuls on March 30, 2013. More info rmation can be found online at www.FairGroundsRaceCourse.com.